2019 Statewide Snapshot Day
Statewide Snapshot Day
Saturday, August 17th
8:30 AM – 1:00 PM
Multiple locations across Wisconsin
Register by August 2nd to get a free Snapshot Day tote bag & boot brush!
This statewide, one-day event connects volunteers, water lovers, and local groups in a search for aquatic invasive species (AIS). You can help protect Wisconsin’s rivers and lakes from these exotic plants and animals that negatively impact habitat, wildlife, recreation and health. Coordinated in partnership with Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources, UW Extension, over 20 partners, and YOU!
On Snapshot Day you will:
- Get outdoors at a local Training Site where your Site Leader will teach you how to identify species of concern.
- Venture out to nearby Monitoring Sites, collecting specimens and getting to know your waters.
- Return to your Training Site to confirm your finds and celebrate.
All results are sent on to WI DNR and shared on the SWIMS database (Surface Water Integrated Monitoring System). Early detection by Snapshot Day participants has helped identify and manage new populations of invasive species not just on the day, but years after the event.
No previous experience required. Training is provided. With a variety of sites, options to wade in or stay dry, and activities for every comfort level.
This is a free, family-friendly event. Recommended for ages 8 and up, minors must be accompanied by an adult. Registration required by August 2, 2019 to ensure free tote bag, boot brush and more!
8:30 am – 9:00 am: Registration at your Training Site
9:00 am – 9:45 am: Invasive Species ID Training
9:45 am – 12:00 pm: Search for and gather specimens at Monitoring Sites
12:00 pm – 1:00 pm: Return to Training Site, share and verify findings
Sign up for the site you want to help at by clicking here. Registration is free. You will be emailed with more site-specific details prior to the event.
Pick the site you want to help at when registering.
(* = modified start time)
- Ashland – Ashland County
- Baileys Harbor – Door County
- Belleville – Dane County
- Bristol – Kenosha County
- Chilton – Calumet County
- Cudahy – Milwaukee County
- Eau Claire* – Eau Claire County
- Fond du Lac – Fond du Lac County
- Green Bay – Brown County
- (Cancelled) La Crosse – La Crosse County
- Lake Tomahawk – Oneida County
- Madison – Dane County
- Manitowoc* – Manitowoc County
- Medford – Taylor County
- Menasha – Winnebago County
- Montello – Marquette County
- Oshkosh – Winnebago County
- Shawano – Shawano County
- Sheboygan – Sheboygan County
- Siren – Burnett County
- Solon Springs – Douglas County
- (Cancelled) St Croix Falls – Polk County
- Summit Lake Area – Langlade County
- Suring – Oconto County
- Waukesha – Waukesha County
- West Bend – Washington County
- Winneconne – Winnebago County
- Wisconsin Dells – Juneau County
For additional questions, please contact AIS & Watershed Groups Manager, Natalie Dutack, at [email protected] or 608-257-2424 x111.
Hosted in partnership with the Wisconsin DNR and UW Extension’s Citizen Lake Monitoring Network.